Looking at where we are in the world today, it leaves us wondering just how much progress we have made with equality for LGBTQ people. This year will mark 55 years since LGBTQ people started the fight for the right to live openly and free. We witnessed drag queens bearing a lot of the weight of those fights and today, we are back to watching queens stand up for trans gender rights and their very right to entertain the masses.
Make no mistake, we are still fighting to live our lives openly and freely. It is our duty to stand up, make our voices heard, have our faces known, and to let the heavens hear our voices that we will not be held down any longer. We will not sit idly by and watch our rights being stripped away from us, again.
That all seems like a lot, its a daunting fight and won’t be over quickly. Many of you may wonder what you can do to make an impact. We get caught up in seeing ourselves as solitary individuals and not part of the larger group. We think we can’t help the cause, but guess what, you can,
Here is how you can do Easy Activism and make an influence on what is unfolding around us.
Activism for all
Activism is not just for the brave and the bold. In fact, anyone can be an activist with just a few simple steps. All it takes is a little bit of courage, determination, and a willingness to stand up for what you believe in. If you’ve been feeling like you want to get more involved in causes that matter to you, but you’re not sure where to start, this article is for you.
Easy activism is about making a difference in your community and in the world, without necessarily having to devote all of your time and energy to a particular cause. Here are some simple ways you can start making a difference today.
Activism is all about making the world a better place by taking action to support a cause that you believe in. You might think that being an activist is something only adults can do, but that’s not true! Anyone can be an activist, no matter their age. In fact, even kids can make a big difference by taking small actions every day. Here are seven fun and easy ways you can become an activist too!
Activism in 7 ways
So you are excited and want to see how you can help affect change but you are left wondering how you can help. You are probably sitting there thinking “I am not in a big city, what can I do?” Or may you have fears like, “I cant openly protest due to the possibility of losing my job.” No worries, there are plenty of ways you can make an impact, even if you cant get out of where you are.
Here is a list of Easy Activism in 7 Ways that you can do from anywhere and help influence our futures.
- Educate yourself – The first step in becoming an activist is to learn about a cause that you care about. Do you love animals? Are you passionate about the environment? Do you want to help people in need? Whatever it is that interests you, take the time to learn more about it. Ask your parents or teachers for books, movies or documentaries that can teach you more about the issue you want to help with. Once you know more about the issue, you can start to figure out ways you can make a difference.
- Spread the word – One of the easiest ways to get involved with activism is to spread the word about the cause you care about. Talk to your friends, family and teachers about the issue and why it matters to you. You can also use social media to share information about the cause. For example, you could create an Instagram account dedicated to environmentalism and post pictures of you doing eco-friendly activities.
- Donate – Whether it is time or money, those things are important. If you have a little bit of money to spare, consider donating it to an organization that supports the cause you care about. Many organizations rely on donations to continue their work. Even a small amount of money can make a big difference. Many organizations that support causes need volunteers to help with their work. You can help out by volunteering your time. Whether it’s helping out at a local animal shelter, planting trees with a conservation group or assisting at a food bank, there are many ways you can get involved and make a difference.
- Shop consciously – Where you choose to spend your money can have a big impact on the world. By making conscious choices about what you buy and where you buy it from, you can support businesses that are doing good in the world, and avoid those that are contributing to environmental destruction, human rights abuses, or other harmful practices. Look for brands that are transparent about their sourcing and manufacturing processes, and that prioritize sustainability, fair labor practices, and ethical treatment of animals. That may mean giving up your favorite fast food, yes we are looking at Chick-FIl-A still.
- Use your Voice – Social media has given us all a platform to speak out on issues that matter to us. You don’t have to be a social media influencer to make an impact. By using your voice to raise awareness about important issues, you can help to educate others and spark change. Share articles, infographics, and other content that highlights the issues you care about, and encourage your friends and followers to get involved.
- Attend Protests and Rallies – Protests and rallies can be powerful tools for change. By showing up in person to support a cause, you can help to amplify the voices of those who are most affected by the issues at hand, and send a strong message to those in power. If you’re nervous about attending a protest or rally, bring a friend along for support. Protesting is a great way to make your voice heard and draw attention to an issue. Participating in peaceful protests can be a fun and exciting way to get involved with activism. Just make sure to always stay safe, listen to the organizers and follow the rules.
- Be a role model – Finally, one of the most important things you can do as an activist is to be a role model for others. Show your friends and family how easy it is to get involved and make a difference. By being a positive example, you can inspire others to take action too.
The why of the matter
Activism doesn’t have to be difficult or scary. There are many ways that even kids can get involved and make a difference. By learning about a cause, spreading the word, donating, protesting, volunteering, writing to elected officials and being a role model, you can help create a better world. So go out there and make a difference!
What ways have you thought of that can make a difference? Have you wanted to become more of an activist but wasn’t sure you could do it or that it could be done easily? Maybe you want to help but there are limits, due to safety, that you wont cross. Let me know in the comments below. Are you interested in making a difference in the world, but don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, activism doesn’t have to be complicated or boring. Get out there and make a difference.